About Me

A human being with a passion for all things artistic & soulful, that bring change to this place we all call earth! A singer/ actor/ writer/ event host/ copywriter/ poet but most importantly, a human being!

Monday 7 July 2008

CUT OFF MY TONGUE- POETRY BY SITAWA NAMWALIE.

Betty Wamalwa Muragori is an ideas enterprenuer........... shocked? Read this......
Betty Wamalwa paid a visit at the Storymoja offices one day with an idea. She was proposing to have a show for her poems...... i know Muthoni Garland was probably thinking........ 'poetry..... a show........... we don't do poetry........ " But then come to think of it Storymoja is a publishing house and poetry is cool and as much as poetry is normally listened to......... it is best read........... so reading is Cool and poetry is cool......... hah. Lets have a show.
We at Storymoja are like that. So cool. Get used to it..

Anyway, there I was calling up some amazing people .......oops ........... some amazing Divas.

The cast was to comprise and did comprise of the creme de la creme.

Valentine Njoroge (Amazing media personality - Read Nairobi Star on Fridays)
Hawa Essuman ( Film Maker)
Muthoni Garland ( Managing Editor- Storymoja)
Rose Lukalo - Owino ( Media Scene Icon)
Shan Bartley......... how could i forget her...... (Media Junkie)
Alice Karunditu.......... ( My mentor)
Betty Wamalwa Muragori (Sitawa Namwalie)

And obviously, the only male in the cast me, mimi, moi, nie............ Antony Mwangi

I dont want to bore you with all the nitty gritty............. actually there was no nitty gritty. We are broadway material and you should read the poem below............

A Mother’s Love - Sitawa Namwalie.

When I gave birth to my son,
I gave birth to my heart.
Full and streaming with love,
God gave him to
me, you see,
As my very own gift
An unblemished soul to adore.
When my son came to be
My heart opened wide

S
pewing love, all over the place
I took to wearing a bib
To wipe splatters of love

From the faces of strangers amazed.
When Macharia was born
I sizzled and sparked
Instantly burst into flames
I was sure to bestride with a bottle of red wine
Dousing love flames that set whole rooms ablaze!
When my son came to be
I grew wings
I fly off, now and then
To frolic and frisk with clouds
High above the boughs of tall trees.
When I gave birth to my son,
I gave birth to my heart
When Macharia was born

I sizzled and sparked
When my son came to be
I grew wings..................
Lovely isn't it............Well its copyright.

Check out for more poetry and get to know why Betty chose to have her poetry out at a very late age......... she is fifty something now and is the new Kenyan Maya Angelou.

Her poetry will leave you asking for more........






No comments:

A Story a day, keeps Stupidity away.

A Story a day, keeps Stupidity away.
Reading is cool, reading is sexy, reading is fun, reading is the in thing

My Choice of NeoSoul Artistes.- Antony Mwangi

  • Corrine Bailey Rae
  • Erykah Badu
  • Ayo
  • Jill Scott
  • Lira
  • Music Soulchild
  • Ladisi
  • Kindred Family Soul
  • Floetry
  • Maxwell
  • D'Angelo
  • Dwele

My Best Hoods- Antony Mwangi

  • Buru Buru
  • Nyari- Red Hill
  • Nairobi West
  • Komarock
  • Westlands
  • Kawangware
  • Langata
  • Donholm